Monday 22 February 2010

2. How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

By combining both my music video and print productions effectively I have been able to strengthen the genre of music and strengthen my ideas.

I chose to build on the school theme that was running throughout the narrative of the video and was prominent within the lyrics and the name of the song ('The Exam'), so I used a wood effect to resemble a desk as this linked with the school theme because it had connotations of a desk and the use of paper on top of the "desk" [wood effect] strengthened the implication of education. By linking the theme of education between both the video and print production I was also able to create a sense of nostalgia which I have tried to interweave throughout both production by editing shots into black & white and using Polaroid images on the front of the CD cover.

As well as using the editing to link my main production and ancillary texts, I used visual links as well, in order to appeal to audiences members who engage better visually. By integrating part of the video into my print production, it not only creates a direct tie between the two productions, but also familiarises the audience with the band and the music; they are able to relate to the singer on an aspirational level because they can see what he has achieved. Although the image of the performer on the front cover allows the consumer to relate to him, the use of lyrics on the inside pane of the CD case familiarises the audience, again with the performer because they're able to aspire even more due to the fact they can learn the lyrics, but also with the video and the song; the audience can engage with the song and the visuals on a different level because they're able to sing along with the performer and can link the visuals with the lyrics in a more precise manner.

In order to keep the ancillary text appropriate to genre, I used an image of the artist in order to promote the band and because this ties in well with the indie/alternative genre. Other bands from similar genres use traditional images of the artist, such as Jack Penate 'Everything is New' (it is just an image of the artist in a medium shot), however I decided to create an image using multiple Polaroid’s and one image because I felt this tied in best with the artist and because of the nostalgic feel I have been attempting. Positing the image in the centre of the CD cover framed by the text, "Blighters The Exam", draws attention to the artist and, similarly to the use of the same image that is from the video, allows the audience to familiarise and relate to the artist and the music.

To keep a sense of continuity between all media texts I used similar textures and pastel shades; the use of old paper is sepia and reminiscent of older times, this ties in with the black & white shots in the video and links both together because of the similarity in darker, pastel tones. However, I decided on keeping the main image in colour, because this tied in well with the performance aspect of my music video because it was all in colour as well; the contrast between the colour and the sepia effect of the paper made the image the main focus of the CD cover and because of this it is promotion of the artist because the audience become accustomed to seeing him.

No comments:

Post a Comment